Thursday, March 27, 2014

Review: Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy

18304765
ebook, 346 pages
Published December 2nd 2013
Goodreads
Amazon

Ryan Kendall is broken. He understands pain. He knows the hand of violence and the ache of loss. He knows what it means to fail those who need you. Being broken doesn’t stop him wanting the one thing he can’t have; Finlay Tanner. Her smile is sweet and her future bright. She’s the girl he grew up with, the girl he loves, the girl he protects from the world, and from himself.

At nineteen, Ryan leaves to join the Australian Army. After years of training he becomes an elite SAS soldier and deploys to the Afghanistan war. His patrol undertakes the most dangerous missions a soldier can face. But no matter how far he runs, or how hard he fights, his need for Finlay won’t let go.

Returning home after six years, one look is all it takes to know he can’t live without her. But sometimes love isn’t enough to heal what hurts. Sometimes people like him can’t be fixed, and sometimes people like Finlay deserve more than what’s left.

This is a story about war and the cost of sacrifice. Where bonds are formed, and friendships found. Where those who are strong, fall hard. Where love is let go, heartache is born, and heroes are made. Where one man learns that the hardest fight of all, is the fight to save himself.






This is my 5 snowflake review for Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy for Eskimo Princess Book Reviews.

Let me start by saying that the men and women who fight against evil in the armed forces around the world have my respect and admiration.
Fighting Redemption follows the story of Finley and Ryan. Two souls that travel on a path to one another that has lots of bumps and hiccups, yet remains tender and sweet at the same time. Finley and her brother Jake met Ryan when they moved to the same city where he lived. Jake was Ryan’s age, 5th grade, and Finley was in 3rd. Jake and Ryan became best friends. They were always together and Ryan always found himself looking out for Finley. He was even more protective of Finley at times than Jake. Ryan had a very bad home life, so he spent most of his time with Jake at his house. He became like another part of the family. Ryan has a dream to become a member of the SAS, an Australian Special Forces Unit. Will he follow his dreams and leave Finley behind? What will Finley do when not only Ryan but Jake leaves for the Australian Army?

Finley is beautiful, but she doesn’t see it. She only has her mind set on making something of her life. She wants to help the world, as her brother Jake always picks, One Whale at a time. She has been in love with Ryan for so long, but she knows they can never be more. Will she move on with someone else before Ryan can come to terms with his feelings? Will she be able to survive if something happens to one of the boys while they are off fighting a war?

Ryan Kendall, well are there really any words to appropriately describe him? It will be hard, but I am going to try to take on the task. Boy, some of his words make a heart weep. He made me swoon, more than once.
                “I want to say I love you too, but it doesn’t seem enough.”….”I love you, Fin. I’ve always loved you. Right from the moment you walked up those steps at school, you tripped your way right into my heart. I won’t ever stop. I’ll love you longer than the stars that live in the sky.” –Ryan

 He is so broken, yet so strong. He fights for everything he wants, but has a hard time accepting his feelings for Finley. The love he has for Finley is so strong and true. It pains me that he doesn’t feel like he is enough for her. When tragedy strikes and he is left feeling ripped open will he be able to seek help? Will he get his HEA?

                “Ask me, Fin, what I see when I look up at all those stars.” ...”You’re all I see. Nothing holds more beauty in my eyes than you do. No one will ever love you the way I do.” – Ryan

The words this man uses will crush you. He will make your panties melt and your heart soar. This really is a story that everyone should read.
I waited so long to read this book because I was scared of how it would make me feel. I was so stupid to put it off. I should have grabbed it up as soon as it came available. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a love story so true you feel like you are living it too. If you are having doubts, give it a chance, I feel you won’t be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment